Friday, March 23, 2012

Hunger Games Ramblings

Last night a couple of my friends rented out a couple theaters to do an advanced screening of The Hunger Games, meaning we got to see it at eight rather than midnight! I hate spoilers so I am simply going to say that the movie swept me up and took me to places that had previously only existed in my mind and I left happy. 
I chose not to re-read the books (again) because I was afraid with it fresh in my memory I would be annoyed more at the details they could not fit into the movie. After the movie was over and I was home in bed I kept thinking about Katniss and her journey and my own Hunger Games memories.

I read The Hunger Games September 25, 2008 (at least that is when I added it to my Goodreads) I looked up to see when The Hunger Games came out September 14th so a week and a half before I read it. All I knew about The Hunger Games was it was getting buzz from authors and it was highly addicting. When I was reading it for the first time my sister Debbie along with her husband Russ, son William and baby daughter Gracie were living with me in my two bedroom condo while Russ was doing his rotations. William and I were sharing a room and I remember reading late into the night and finally having to put the book down to get some sleep. When I got home I went straight to my room to read and when the book ended and I saw book one. I wanted to throw the book across the room knowing that the book had just come out and I would have to wait a year for the next one. And although I did not throw the book across the room I did hit the book a few times on the bed. 
Thankfully one of my friends named Jen got an ARC for Catching Fire and she let me borrow it. I don't remember why but that weekend Debbie her family and I were staying at my moms. I brought The Hunger Games along with Catching Fire in case Debbie would finally read The Hunger Games. I was right when Debbie saw she had the chance to read Catching Fire as well she grabbed The Hunger Games and we went into the spare bedroom and read side by side. I still remember having to put the book down and pacing down the hall because I scared to know what happened but had to know what happened. 
Mockingjay came out August 24th the day before my birthday so I took my birthday off and spent the day reading and eating. One of my favorite pictures is of me laying on Debbie's floor while I was reading Gracie came and laid on me while she watched Peter Pan. 

Melissa and I as usual decided to make arrow shirts last minuet. You can kind of see them in the picture Espe took of us before the movie.
I love how things like books or movies or songs can bring you back in time and next year when I am watching  Catching Fire I am sure I will think back to last night on my trip down memory lane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment